Artist's Statement

For the longest time I just did art simply because I liked something or it just popped into my head randomly and that was alright with me. Either I would do that or I occasionally would just start making a mess and doing random things until something became of this uncontrolled mess and then I would finish the piece up with some controlled elements and ideas.

Recently though, I have been collaborating with a good friend of mine, Miss S. K. Brown, and taking a more fun, glitter, and flourescent direction in my artwork. This summer I plan on delving more deeply into these two different styles and making something great.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Assignment Three

a)I define Expressionist art as art that is inspired by the artist's feelings and is intended to provoke the same feelings in the viewer. These feelings are used by the viewer to better understand the art because the art is meant to share and show an experience of inner life that could be common between people.

Cognitive art would be defined as a form of art that is meant to provide knowledge of the world. This knowledge might otherwise be forgotten if it wasn't depicted in a work of art in a powerful and unique way.

Expressionist art is meant more for expressing feelings and making the view feel the same way while cognitive art is meant to provide knowledge to the viewer.

b) I believe Tolstoy though that Expressionism was to be clear, sincere, and express morals in order to civilize the masses. The art should transmit the feeling from the artist to the viewer and the viewers are to harmonize with each other in order to treat each other better.

c) Collingham though the art is to be recreated in the mind of the viewer to function as art. The art is to be reconstructed in the viewer's mind in order to better understand the artist's emotion and in order for the viewer to collaborate with the artist.

d) Bourgeois used memories from her troubled childhood and her daddy issues to add expression to her artwork. The metaphors in her art is linked to the memories and are used to reveal aspects of her life.

Smith's work is concerned most with perception. The viewer's perception is usually altered after viewing Smith's artwork.

Both Bourgeois and Smith use common images in their art and in their perception

e) I picked Kim Cadmus Owens because she uses charcoal in an expressive way and also does a lot of buildings.

http://www.kimcadmusowens.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment