Artist's Statement

For the longest time I just did art simply because I liked something or it just popped into my head randomly and that was alright with me. Either I would do that or I occasionally would just start making a mess and doing random things until something became of this uncontrolled mess and then I would finish the piece up with some controlled elements and ideas.

Recently though, I have been collaborating with a good friend of mine, Miss S. K. Brown, and taking a more fun, glitter, and flourescent direction in my artwork. This summer I plan on delving more deeply into these two different styles and making something great.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Assignment Four

a) I define Formalism as works of art that focus purely on the design elements of the piece along with the abstract and compositional aspects of the work. Formalism doesn't concern itself much with concept and more on the work and how aesthetically pleasing it is.

b) I picked Piet Mondrian because most of his work is more non-objective than the other two and all of it is almost completely about design.

c) I chose Agnes Martin because her work is also all about the design. Her pieces have a good design and are concerned with being aesthetically pleasing and not about telling a story. They are all non-objective also.

d) I chose Barbara Cohen because her work on the ping pong balls is more non-objective. The random lines in charcoal and graphite on the balls reminds me of my random lines and she's using similar materials to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment